Whether attending the Sundance Film Festival for the first time or the 27th, movie buffs and film enthusiasts will find new experiences every time they visit Park City. For the 2011 Festival, Resorts West locals share these 5 suggestions for making even more discoveries this year:
1. Spend a day on the slopes – While many visitors in town attend screenings and events, fresh Park City powder often falls on crowdless mountains. This year, Resorts West recommends connecting with another art form during the Festival and experiencing the thrill of skiing or riding at one Park City’s three world-class resorts. (Extra tip: Visit Park City Mountain Resort from Jan. 21 to 23 and try new Burton demo equipment without a rental fee.)
2. Go off-Main for dinner – Park City boasts more than 100 fine dining restaurants, featuring haute cuisine from around the world. While many of these establishments lie in the heart of town, some of Park City’s biggest culinary gems lie just a few minutes from Main Street. To avoid the crowds for a unique experience, we recommend Fireside Dining at Deer Valley Resort, the simple elegance of the French-inspired Spruce at Canyons Resort, and the mouth-watering Swiss fare at Adolph’s European Continental restaurant in Prospector. (Extra tip: Make a reservation outside peak times — before 6 p.m. or after 8 p.m. — for even greater service.)
3. Consider what your Park City accommodations include when securing lodging. Choosing a lodging provider with concierge service, grocery delivery, daily housekeeping and shuttle service can greatly enhance your Festival experience, elminiating time-consuming hassles. (Extra tip: Resorts West offers Private Concierge service, top-of-the-line amenities, daily housekeeping and in-town shuttle service based on availability. Call 1-877-773-1117 to speak with a vacation specialist about available properties during the Festival.)
4. Don’t neglect the shorts — or the less-publicized films in the lineup. Make an effort to see something that lies under the limelight. The documentaries, New Frontier selections and short films often hold the biggest surprises. By the same token, the Music Cafe, art galleries and panels offered by Sundance Institute can lead to a whole new Festival experience.
5. Come prepared with the necessities – Face it — it’s cold in Park City, and the Festival can become an overwhelming 10 days if unprepared. Essential items recommended by Resorts West locals include cold medicine, warm boots, an even warmer hat, fleece-lined gloves and lip balm.
This year’s Sundance Film Festival, running from Jan. 20 to 30, will feature 118 feature-length films by artists from 29 countries, including 40 first-time filmmakers. Ninety-five screening will be world premiers. Celebrities expected to promote their films at this year’s Festival include Liv Tyler, Kate Bosworth, Demi Moore, Ellen Barkin, Emma Roberts, Vera Farmiga and John C. Reilly. Michael Moore, Greg Ginnear and Pamela Yates are among those expected to speak at Sundance Institute panels.