Archive for December, 2011
Despite seeing less snow than usual this December, many skiers and snowboarders have reported surprisingly good conditions in Park City, with smooth groomers and widely open terrain. And while powder hounds are still holding their breath for the one perfect storm to bring back the epic conditions of seasons past, here are 5 reasons why this year is still a great one for skiing and snowboarding in Park City:
1. World-Class Snowmaking. There’s a reason Park City Mountain Resort’s snowmaking team received a standing ovation at the company Christmas party. Thanks to cold temps and unparalleled snowmaking efforts, Park City Mountain Resort has opened 14 of its 17 chairlifts, 54 ski runs and two terrain parks as of December 28. Deer Valley Resort has opened an equally impressive 61 ski runs and 19 of 21 chairlifts, while Canyons Resort has opened 40 runs and 11 lifts. For skiers who love corduroy slopes, the current conditions are perfect — blue skies, clear visibility and pleasant day temperatures.
2. Easy Driving Conditions. Renting a car gives you the freedom to explore Park City at your leisure, but driving can be intimidating if you aren’t used to snow storms and winding mountain roads. This year, take advantage of Park City’s enhanced drivability. It’s a rare treat when the snow stays on the ski slopes and off the pavement. The icing on the cake? Reason #3:
3. A Faster Landing-to-Lift Commute. The already short driving time from Salt Lake International Airport to Park City is made even faster with clear roads, even nearing the 30-minute range.
4. More Family Skiing. In powder years — for example, last year – it’s tempting to leave the kids in ski school and take off for the steeps and the bowls. This season, you can watch your kids take on their first blue or even black runs without feeling a secret pull to the powder stash. (If next year is like the last post-drought season, though, you’ll have to get the kids powder skis for Christmas.)
5. An Incentive to Explore Park City. Who knew you could ride an Olympic bobsled in Park City? Or float across town in a hot air balloon? Or go shopping at one of the country’s largest outlet malls? Park City is full of off-mountain adventure that you might never have explored had last year’s conditions made a back-to-back appearance. This year, see why the Glitretind brunch is so heralded, or what makes the Egyptian Theater so renowned. You can even shamelessly try the Alpine Coaster or Zip Line.
If you’re looking for the real skinny on Park City’s skiing conditions, the answer is – it depends. If you love waist-high power, it just isn’t here yet. But if you’re happy with sunshine, groomers and time with your family, Park City’s conditions are perfect.
How much snow is enough snow? It depends on what you seek!
Come out and see for yourself! Call 1-877-773-1117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The Sundance Film Festival – Running this year from Jan. 19 to 29, the world’s largest independent film festival holds something for everyone. Star gaze on Main Street, see world film premiers or simply enjoy empty the slopes.
2. Low Traffic – Avoid holiday crowds both on the streets and on the slopes during the first two weeks of January, winter’s sweet spot. Come over the weekend of Jan. 6 and 7, and participate at Canyons Resort’s “Learn to Ski & Ride” event. The $10 fee includes your lift ticket, rentals and instruction.
3. Deer Valley Women’s & Men’s Weekends – Enjoy the excitement and camraderie of skiing with other women of the same ability, while improving your skills. These clinics are specifically designed for women and are conducted by Deer Valley’s top female Ski Instructors. The cost is $550, and does not include lift tickets. Advance reservations are necessary; please call 888-SKI-TIPS (754-8477) or 435-645-6648 for details. Weekends run from Jan. 27 to 29, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
4. Intermountain Feestyle at Park City Mountain Resort - See some of the nation’s best in Halfpipe, Slopestyle and Moguls at this USSA sanctioned event, held Jan. 19 to 22.
5. World-Class Performing Arts – See MOMIX’s “Botanica” at The Eccles Center, a whimsical homage to nature created by famed choreographer Moses Pendleton.
Where to Stay:
Deer Valley | Park City | Canyons
What are you doing to ring in the New Year? You could be skiing and snowboarding in Park City, celebrating at Canyons Resort with live music and fireworks, or taking in the scene on Main Street. When you stay with Resorts West, you get complimentary shuttle service, daily housekeeping and a Private Concierge to make your vacation hassle-free.
2360 Red Pine Villa offers accommodations for 13 guests with 8 separate beds. Amenities include a spacious den with wet bar, wood and gas fireplaces, flat-screen TVs and a private outdoor hot tub. Complimentary shuttle service takes you to the Canyons Resort base, located two minutes away, or Park City Mountain Resort, located five minutes away.
Experience an unforgettable New Year in Park City! Call 1-877-773-1117 for details or e-mail email@example.com.
27 Belle Arbor Home
Thanks to early snowfall and world-class snowmaking, Deer Valley Resort has opened 18 of 21 lifts and 54 perfectly groomed ski runs as of Dec. 17. These luxury lodge condos and private ski homes offer the greatest value for mountain-side accommodations:
Silver Strike Lodge – Catch the Silver Strike ski lift, located directly out the back door of this slope-side luxury lodge, for ski-in/ski-out access. Lodge amenities include a state-of-the-art fitness center, lounge, oversized hot-tub and outdoor fire pit. Enjoy a complimentary 5th night when you book four over select dates.
Belle Arbor Homes – Take a private ski elevator out your back door or a stroll across a private cul de sac to the gentle intermediate slope of Silver Dollar run before catching the green Success run to the base at Deer Valley Resort. A perfect option for families, the 5- and 6-bedroom Belle Arbor homes offer game rooms, private outdoor hot tubs, kids’ bunk rooms, snowman-worthy yards and easy access to ski school.
Arrowleaf Lodge - Ski-in/ski-out from this luxury lodge, complete with an outdoor hot tub, stunning mountain views and complimentary shuttle service to Park City. Hardwood floors, gas fireplaces, granite countertops and high thread-count sheets accent these luxury condos. Enjoy a complimentary 5th night over select night.
Black Bear Lodge – One of the greatest values at Deer Valley Resort, the Black Bear Lodge is located in Silver Lake Village for walking access to the slopes, as well as shopping, dining and après ski options. Take the Silver Lake Express lift to the base for ski school, or take off to Empire Pass and Lady Morgan for challenging terrain. Black Bear Lodge offers a heated swimming pool, private outdoor hot tubs, classic mountain décor and gas firelpaces. Enjoy a complimentary 5th night when you stay four over select dates.
Ironwood Townhomes – These luxury 4-bedroom townhomes sit on a quiet, ski-in/ski-out cul de sac in Empire Pass. Guests enjoy private outdoor hot tubs and deck space, a community fitness center and stunning mountain views. All bedrooms offer en-suite baths, and each home features a spacious den separate from the living room. Enjoy a complimentary 5th night when you stay four over select dates.
Pleae call 1-877-773-1117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for details on special rates and services.
Although hitting the slopes for some of Park City’s pristine powder is certainly top-of-mind for many visitors, this Olympic mecca offers more than just mountains and light, fluffy snow. Mix it up on your next Park City getaway by ticking these adventures off your vacation bucket list:
Comet Bobsled Ride at Utah Olympic Park
Fly down a real bobsled track – Reach speeds of 80 mph with 5 Gs of force on an Olympic bobsled track.
Sled like an Olympian - Fly head-first down Utah’s Olympic skeleton track under Olympian supervision. More thrilling than skydiving? Only one way to find out.
Fly in a hot air balloon - A year-round Park City treat. Sail over this snowy town and see the slopes like you never have before.
Experience a World Cup competition - In Park City, the Freestyle World Cup isn’t just a sporting event – it’s a community party! Join live concerts and celebrations for all ages while watching the world’s best freestyle skiers in international competition.
See an original Banksy – The infamous English street artist and subject of the Sundance documentary “Exit Through the Gift Shop” has dotted the globe with his hit-and-run artwork. A rare piece remains on Park City’s Main Street.
Take a spin on an Alpine Coaster – Sure, you’ve ridden a roller coaster. But a natural mountain coaster? Park City Mountain Resort offers this unique ride for ages 3 and older.
Experience the Sundance Film Festival - If you have never seen Park City during Sundance, make this annual to-do part of your vacation check list. The world’s largest independent film festival is worth seeing first-hand!
Already a winter wonderland, Deer Valley Resort will add a visit from Santa and a holiday light show for an unforgettable Christmas in the mountains!
Santa Claus will appear at the Snow Park Lodge on Dec. 24 from 9 to 11 a.m. and at the mid-mountain Silver Lake Lodge from Noon to 1:30 p.m. Cameras welcome!
For a holiday finale, Deer Valley will host the annual Torchlight parade on Dec. 30 down Big Stick ski run, a light show featuring torches and synchronized skiing. Spectators can enjoy the show from the deck of the Snow Park Lodge with complimentary cookies and hot apple cider.
Enjoy all the festivities at a Resorts West private ski home or luxury lodge condo complete with complimentary shuttle service, daily housekeeping and a Private Concierge. Call 1-877-773-1118 or e-mail email@example.com for lodging specials!
Featured Holiday Lodging at Deer Valley Resort:
Shooting Star Lodge – Ski-in/ski-out to Empire Pass (2-bedroom)
Silver Strike Lodge – Ski-in/ski-out right from your condo to Empire Pass (4-bedroom)
Ironwood Townhome – Ski-in/ski-out to Empire Pass; get $250 to Buckmans.com when you book for the holidays! (4-bedroom)
Harmony Haus – Private ski home at gated Deer Crest community; ski lockers and theater (5-bedroom)
Dreaming of a snow-filled New Year with fresh powder, fine dining, après ski and walkable access to nightlife? Allow us to introduce Woodside Villa.
This 5-bedroom ski home sits 30 yards from Park City Mountain Resort’s Creole run and a block from the Town Lift on Main Street. Ski or snowboard all day, then retreat to your 4,500 square-foot getaway for an easy walk to restaurants, boutiques, pubs and nightlife. When you reserve this home between Dec. 26, 2011 and Jan. 2, 2012, you are also treated to $250 to spend at the world’s only ski-in gastro-distillery — the High West Distillery and Saloon. This unique Park City establishment features gourmet fare, locally made spirits and live music.
After a day of adventure on the slopes and in town, relax in your private outdoor hot tub or cozy up to one of four gas fireplaces or seven flat-screen TVs.
Call Resorts West at 1-877-773-1117 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.